When Must You File Your Federal Tax Return?

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and both your tax home and your abode are outside the United States and Puerto Rico on the regular due date of your tax return, you are automatically granted an extension (usually to June 15) to file your return and pay any tax due. You are not required to file a special form to receive this extension. However, you must attach a statement to your tax return when you file showing that you are eligible for this automatic extension.

Filing for an additional extension may be a good idea. You may benefit if, on the due date for filing, you have not yet met either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test, but you expect to qualify after the automatic extension discussed above and you have no tax liability. We will provide all the information you need to file for an additional extension beyond the two-month period to June 15, including filling out Form 2350: Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Return to FAQs