Do You Need to File a Federal Tax Return?

Yes, you must file from abroad if you would be required to file while living in the United States. The law requires that American citizens and resident aliens who live abroad must follow the same rules for filing income, estate and gift tax returns as those living in the United States. Regardless of where you currently reside, your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax.

Return to FAQs